The three squadrons of the Junior Leaders Regiment RE, A, B, & C. which were later changed to 54, 66 & 82 Squadrons when these regular service Squadrons were disbanded, comprised originally of fifty boys from Chatham and thirty boys from Aldershot in 1950. Aggressive recruiting gradually increased numbers to 580 by 1955. Malta Barracks at Aldershot was soon outgrown and larger accommodation was secured at Old Park Barracks, Dover. The move took place in December 1958. The first C.O. being Lt Col R.L. France R.E.. Soon after arrival at Dover “C” Squadron was formed from A and B thus making The Junior Leaders Regiment R.E. Dover was the Regiments’home for 33 years with the last pass off parade being on 26′ October 1991. The remaining soldiers, 82 in total were moved to Chepstow to finish their training.
The Junior Leaders system was set up to provide the regular army with a supply of manpower that was trained in leadership skills to take on the mantle of the senior N.C.O.Discipline, Education, Sport and military skills were taught to a high standard in this endeavour. The achievement of the aims of the system is evidenced by the senior positions attained by those who benefited from their time at Dover.
Any information regarding the History of the Junior Leaders, pictures, memories can be sent to members on the contacts page or shared on Facebook page by clicking Facebook Icon.